Saturday, May 10, 2008

Space A adventure

We left Ramstein 10 May as CAT III on leave status. We had decided that we would take the first flight we could get, this was to Dover DE on C17. The flight was great and only cost $14 for 4 box lunches! We got to stretch out on the floor, take naps and the boys got to sit in the cockpit and press the missile launch button, repeatedly. Landing in Dover DE on a Saturday evening is not the best of situations. All of the car rental places are closed till Monday! Danny just wanted to keep us moving so we used our Germany cell phone to call a transportation service to get us to the closest airport, Philadelphia. This is where we also had a car rental, for $350 one way, reservation for a 7pm pickup time. Cool, still this is all cheaper than one plane ticket from Germany to the US! We get picked up from base and for 4 of us to get to the airport $225, we are off. Well we got a nice little tour of all the landmarks and busted our car rental pick up time, by 3 minutes, ugh!!!!! So we took what they had for a nice little $650 one way. In the car, all of us are tired our bodies think that it is 2am, second wind kicks in. We are off, out of the city, heading west to the PA turnpike. In Hagerstown, at 11pm Danny is done. We stop at a hotel and get some sleep. We wake up, rested, all very quiet looking at each other, it is 3:30am! Well we are awake so we get up, take showers and we are off!! As we pass the Altoona exit, I wave and say Hi to my friend Rhonda.

In Ohio, I-70 west, WOOHOO! Decisions, decisions. Do we stop at Grammie and Grumps house? I know that Greg & the boys and Alex are in town. At 10:30am we come to I-70 and Route 4, after some discussing Danny and I decided to drive by. Ugh, as I write this, I wish we would have stopped. I was thinking that it would be better to just get to Texas and get settled for my clinical to start. Really would a few hours have made any difference in our trip… we will never know. In Indiana and Illinois we hit some rain and really windy weather. Enter Missouri; sun is shining, clear skies. Finally Oklahoma, we know we are close, the adrenaline kicks in, happy dance-- 5am, we arrive Vernon TX.

No comments: